Best VHS to DVD converters
We live in a digital world, and if you ask someone who is born after the year 2000 what does analog mean, chances are he or she will have no idea. That is not necessarily a bad thing. It is like asking you what a praxinoscope theatre is. Not many people know about its existence, and I am sure you are googling it right now. Leaving that aside, the DVDs have taken over the motion picture industry, and VCR tapes are no longer something that people use. You may still find a VCR in some homes, but I do not think people use them anymore. Unless they want to see your 3rd birthday or an old wedding video.
What is a VHS to DVD converter?
If you still have some videotapes around the house, you may want to have them on digital for obvious reasons. You need a VHS to DVD converter for that. It is a device that will convert the tape into digital so that you can watch it on a DVD the next time you are feeling nostalgic. The technology is pretty simple, which is the VHS to DVD converter is not very expensive. You can find a decent one for just about $30-$40.
Types of VHS to DVD converter
Since there is more one way to do anything these days, VHS to DVD converters come in two primary types. The first one is the simplest solution, and it is ideal for people who are not so tech savvy, so to speak. The device consists of a deck that has both a VHS slot and a DVD slot that can burn DVDs. What you need to do is simple. Insert the tape in its designated slot, activate the DVD burner, and the device will transfer the data from the videotape to the DVD. It cannot get any simpler than that.
The second option is a bit more complicated and requires some knowledge of how things work. It is a small device that is equipped with old RCA inputs paired with a USB or HDMI output. However, you still need a VCR to use this method, and you must also know your way around some software and hardware so that you can choose the adequate program to record the media that comes out of the VHS tape. The rest is easy.
Each of these methods come with their pros and cons, but the best thing about the second method is that you can use it for other things as well. You can record your gameplay, favorite TV shows, sports games, and more. At the end of the day, if you really want to go full digital, you choose the method that you think is best for you. Both of them will do a good job.
The benefits of VHS to DVD converter
The most obvious benefit from having a VHS to DVD converter is that you can convert all VHS tapes to DVD and go digital. But the question is why you should do that. You will find some of the reasons below:
- DVDs provide a better resolution – analog videos have poor resolution, as you may very well know. If you convert the VHS tape to DVD, that aspect will improve. Plus, the signal stays digital, which means that it will not become degraded during every playback.
- You get rid of the rewind hassle – I like to believe that you have watched a VHS tape in your life, and you know the struggle of going back a couple of minutes. Basically, you had to hit the rewind button and wait for the tape to physically go back. Furthermore, you had to wait for the entire tape to go to the beginning so the next time you watch it, it will start from the beginning. Otherwise, it will play right where you left off the last time. Needless to say, that takes a while. That issue is solved with DVDs. I know you know how that works.
- DVDs occupy less space – I believe you have seen the size of a VHS tape. It is enormous compared to a DVD. If you turn all your videotapes to digital, you will save some space in your living room cabinet or wherever you keep your videos.
- VHS tapes degrade quickly – a DVD is made to last for an extended period of time, and what is even better is that it does not suffer any damage every time you use it. You can use it all day every day, and it will not break. VHS tapes, on the other hand, the more you play them, the more damage they suffer. Plus, they can get tangled, at which point you can kiss it goodbye.
- The content of a DVD is transferrable – when you have a video on a DVD, you can do with it everything you want. You can copy, replicate, transfer, upload, and anything you can think of. VHS tapes, on the other hand, limit it to making a copy.
How to choose the best VHS to DVD converter
If you need such a device, you must know how to select the best one. In order to do that, there are a few things you need to consider when you make a purchase. They are as follows:
- Type – I already explained what methods you have at your disposal. This is the first thing you need to decide because it will determine what you need to know from this point on.
- Software – if you go for the PC converter, most of the times, the device you buy comes with its own specialized software. However, some cheaper models do not. Lucky for you, you can find free software online that can help you convert your VHS tapes. A excellent example of that is Audacity. It is easy to use and has a user-friendly interface.
- Copy-protection bypass – a lot of VHS tapes come with copy protection that used to prevent analog piracy. That is why you need a converter that bypasses that limitation and allows you to copy the data from the tape. Of course, if what you want to convert is a home video, this mention does not apply to you.
- Output quality – the best VHS to DVD converter will be able to at least maintain the same video and audio quality of the tape. Of course, there is no way of telling that just by looking at some specifications online. To find this information, you need to read some VHS to DVD converter reviews online to see what other people say about a particular product that you want to buy.
What are the best VHS to DVD converters?
Now that you have all the information at hand, you should be able to make the right decision. However, if you are still having some difficulties, you can just choose one of the products below. They are all excellent devices, and I am sure that no matter which one you go for, you will be satisfied. I guarantee it.
Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus Video Converter for PC
Just as the title suggests, this is a VHS to DVD converter for your PC, so you need to connect it to a laptop or desktop computer. It can help you create polished videos with professional-grade tools for reducing video noises and transition effects. The software that it comes with can also enable you to stabilize shaky videos, correct the colors, and more. You are going to have to buy the product to find out. For what is worth, the software is very easy to use.
The Roxio model can also split videos to span across multiple DVDs if you want to share or store them. You are not limited to 4.7 GB, which is the most common capacity for a DVD. Another feature that you will like is the fact that you can record home movies directly to a DVD with a simple push of the button. You can upload those movies to any other device and social media alike.
Lastly, the Roxio VHS to DVD converter will allow you to convert LPs and audio cassettes to CD and MP3 format. Moreover, it will identify the track automatically and add a title, artist, and genre. It resembles Shazam in that manner. You can find multiple uses for this unit, and I am sure you will enjoy it as much as thousands of buyers do.
Diamond Multimedia VC500 2.0 One Touch VHS to DVD converter
Another product that may pique your interest is the VHS to DVD converter from Diamond Multimedia. With one single touch, you can convert VHS tapes to digital format. The video source does not matter at all since this device can support RCA or S-Video outputs. It uses a USB to connect to the VCR. The 3-step installation process is straightforward. Just plug the cable into your PC, connect all cables, install the drivers and the Cyberlink Power Director Capture Program, and you are all set.
The software supports Windows 10, 8.1, 8, and Windows 7. You can preserve all your memories and turn them to .avi, MPEG2, MPEG4, andMp3 (for audio) formats. As for audio, you can connect this to a record player and transfer the tracks from a vinyl record to a digital format.
The software you receive from Diamon Multimedia also allows you to edit the video and audio. You can work on the quality of the image, correct colors, and much more, with just a little bit of skill. The device comes with a manual, so you should get the hang of it pretty fast.
Honestech Deluxe VHS to DVD Converter 2.0
Unlike the previous two products, this unit has a different design. This is one of those units that are a bit larger. It records whatever the videotape you put in the VCR contains. It does so in a relatively short amount of time, and you do not have to do anything other than pushing a few buttons. This product is the ideal solution for all those who cannot handle computer software better as others. That is because the software is very easy to use.
In the box you receive, you will get a VIDBOX (USB video capture device), a USB cable, RCA AV cable, a quick start guide, and an installation software CD. The device captures old VHS, Beta, 8mm or camcorder tapes and converts them to DVD, Blu-Ray, or any other digital format that you want.
The software you receive will also enable you to edit the videos you capture from camcorder tapes and VHS tapes. You can add some background music as well, take still images of videos scenes, and more. The Honestech can record audio from cassettes, LP records, and videotapes too in order to create WMA files or audio CDs. I am sure you are going to have some fun with this one.
All the products above have excellent capabilities. They will do the job they were created for, but if I were to choose one, I would go with the Honestech Deluxe VHS to DVD Converter 2.0. It has a sleek design, it is self-powered, and the software provides fantastic features. I think it is one of the best VHS to DVD converters you can buy in this price range.
Watching old VHS tapes in digital format is possible thanks to VHS to DVD converters. A while back, you had to go to a professional to do the conversion, but now, you can do it yourself at home for less money. One of the products above will help you do that, and whatever option you choose, I am sure that you will get the results you want. Click here to buy on Amazon
- Outrageous Vcr to Digital Tips
- The Lost Secret of Vcr Recorder
- Reported News on Vhs to Cd Exposed
- What Everybody Is Saying About Dvd Vcr Recorder Is Wrong and Why
- The Importance of Transfer Vhs to Computer
- Here’s What I Know About Vhs Transfer to Dvd
- Finding the Best Vcr Dvd Recorder
- Possible Warning Signs on Vhs to Dvd Machine You Should Know About
- What the In-Crowd Won’t Tell You About Vhs Tapes to Dvd
- The True Story About Transfer Video to Dvd That the Experts Don’t Want You to Hear
- The Death of Convert Video to Dvd
- Top Guide of Vhs to Dvd Transfer
- The New Angle On Dvd Vhs Recorder Just Released
- Why Everybody Is Wrong About Vcr to Dvd Recorder
- Videotape to Dvd Tips & Guide
- Things You Should Know About Convert Vhs Tapes to Dvd
- A Guide to Vhs to Dvd Converter Machine
- What You Can Do About Convert Vcr to Dvd Beginning in the Next Nine Minutes
- Top Tips of Vhs Dvd Converter
- The New Angle On Transfer Vhs to Digital Just Released
- Top Copy Vhs to Dvd Secrets
- The Vcr to Dvd Converter Diaries
- What Everybody Is Saying About Vhs Dvd Recorder Is Dead Wrong and Why
- The Most Incredibly Neglected Solution for Vhs to Digital Converter
- Video to Dvd for Dummies
- The Biggest Myth About Vhs to Dvd Recorder Exposed
- Mythical Answers to Vhs Converter Identified
- Choosing Good Vhs to Dvd Conversion
- What You Need to Know About Convert Vhs to Digital
- The Battle Over Transfer Vhs to Dvd and How to Win It
- Brief Article Teaches You the Ins and Outs of Vcr to Dvd and What You Should Do Today
- Facts, Fiction and Vhs to Digital
- The Upside to Convert Vhs to Dvd
- Top Guide of Vhs to Dvd Converter
- The Basics of Vhs to Dvd That You Will be Able to Learn From Beginning Immediately